Hallowscream and Pumpkin Pasty recipe...

Saturday 1 November 2014

We had so much fun! Even Mavis and Mildred, our little witches who watch over the kitchen table all year round, came out to play…


Lots of fresh bread was made…


And because I have always wondered what they taste of, when on Harry Potter, the lovely lady on the train who sells from the trolley offers pumpkin pasties… I thought I would have a go at making some.


O my, o my…
Fairysteps Pumpkin Pasties Recipe
Ingredients are approximate and I will suggest volume to help assess quantities. I made 20 large pasties…
Peel about 2 pints of potatoes and cube into chunkyish dice, pop in base of a big pan. Do the same with pumpkin, then finally add about 4 onions, chopped. Barely cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes till softening.
Drain thoroughly and cool slightly if possible / time.
Pop the veg mix into a big bowl and add half a pint of grated cheddar cheese. Salt and pepper to season thoroughly. Have a good stir, make a spell if you wish at this point…
I made a big ball of pastry using 3 lb of flour to 1.5 lb of fat, using the usual method. I divided this into 20 even pieces. Roll out to an oval, brush a rim around one of the short sides, add a spoon of cooled filling, fold dry edge over and then crimp up brushed edge to seal. Pop on greased tray, make a hole in the top and brush with egg and milk to glaze.
Cook at 200c for 40 to 50 minutes till crisp and golden.


The table looked a treat… Mr Boney was hung up as he is every Halloween… 


My pumkin soup was the best ever, thank you Grandad for growing such a beautifully tasty pumpkin for us! 

It was much fun x

No comments